Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Another Song that touched my heart

Just so everyone knows, I do things besides listen to music. I will admit to listening to a lot of music, eclectic stuff. And I take a lot away from it, which is why this is yet another post about a song.
Sam likes to watch TV. We try our best to discourage it, and keep the TV off quite a bit these days to avoid Sam watching it while under his baby gym or we are holding him. "Sam! You're too little to watch The Daily Show!" is a regular exclamation in our house. But when Sam gets his midnight snack, Mommy needs some background noise so she doesn't fall asleep at the wheel, so to speak. So I put on one of the "radio on tv" channels called "Toddler Tunes." Lullabyes and little kid songs. Fantastic.
Enter Carole King, and shortly after, the tears. "Child of Mine." Oh my.
I'm a bit too young to remember this song's origin. But I felt like I got hit in the face as I listened to it. Humbled by the words.

Although you see the world different than me
Sometimes I can touch upon the wonders that you see
All the new colors and pictures you've designed
Oh yes, sweet darling
So glad you are a child of mine

Child of mine, child of mine
Oh yes, sweet darling
So glad you are a child of mine

You don't need direction, you know which way to go
And I don't want to hold you back, I just want to watch you grow
You're the one who taught me you don't have to look behind
Oh yes, sweet darling
So glad you are a child of mine

Child of mine, child of mine
Oh yes, sweet darling
So glad you are a child of mine

Nobody's gonna kill your dreams
Or tell you how to live your life
There'll always be people to make it hard for a while
But you'll change their heads when they see you smile

The times you were born in may not have been the best
But you can make the times to come better than the rest
I know you will be honest if you can't always be kind
Oh yes, sweet darling
So glad you are a child of mine

It truly makes me wonder if Carole King has a child with Down syndrome.

There'll always be people to make it hard for a while
But you'll change their heads when they see you smile.

This could have been written for my son. My son and every other son and daughter out there with DS.

Sometimes I forget that my perspective is different because I am not only a parent of a child with DS, but a first time Mom also. So I never know what is reaching me as a mom, and what is reaching me as specifically a mom to a child with DS. Maybe those categories aren't really different. Either way, this song had me bawling, clutching my Sam so close he didn't have enough room to breathe. Crying so profoundly that my husband came downstairs to find out what was wrong.
"Nothing," I told him. "Everything's just right."

No comments:

Post a Comment